April 25, 1997
I hereby affirm to the truth of the following based upon information and belief as appropriate:
1. My father, mother, three siblings and I moved to the Community (lso known as the Messianic communities of New England) in July of 1980 (I was 7 years old). I had been living there for two years with my father, Thomas Gregoire, left the Community. Soon afterwards he took his four children out of the community and was given full custody of us. We lived with him in South Burlington, Vermont for a short time, then in San Diego, California. I returned to he community in 1992 (at the age of 19), as two of my siblings (Charity and Michael Gregoire) had done a year earlier.
2. According to transcripts of the hearing in my father's custody case, I was supposedly subjected to frequent child abuse in the Community. When I read these records a few years ago I was shocked. I have never, as a child or adult member, witnessed such abuse occurring within the Community.
3. I am here because I have been deeply affected by the sincere love of my friends. I not only see the parents within the Community wholeheartedly devoted to caring for their children, but I have never seen children who are more genuinely happy.
4. I believe my father tried to be a loving parent to me, but I see that the environment outside the Community opposed me from finding happiness without hurting others. I was unable to be kind, open, and loving in that environment because I saw it would make me subject to the abuse of others.
5. Here in the Community I am able to love because our whole life is centered around building each other's character. This is a place of hope and peace, and I would not trade this life for anything this world has to offer.
[Signed] Paul Gregoire